Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Where I came from


I think its important that everyone gives a shout out to their families. I have realized that while I have written so much about me on this site, I forgot two important parts of my life, mom and dad.

This is my version of how we met (it might vary a little from how mom and dad tell it...but again, this is MY version)

I was born in a cardboard box with 3 sisters and 1 brother. Having so many siblings was amazing- I got to play with them all day, until my "real mom" would lay down- then it was feeding time! Sometimes I'd have to head-butt my sisters so I could get in on the buffet, sometimes I got head-butted by them!

I was taking a nap, and all of a sudden, when I woke up, I was alone! I cried for my siblings. I cried to my mom. I cried because I really needed to poo. But most importantly I cried because I'm a social dog- but there was no one to be social with! After crying myself back to sleep, I woke up because some man picked me up. He flipped me over, gave me a SHOOTING pain in my butt, rubbed it, said "he's healthy!" and then put me down.


Once again, I realized, I'm alone. Never before had I realized that my cries actually could turn into howls! First time I did it, I scared myself. Good thing there was a soft blanket under me, because I peed myself. After realizing the howling wouldn't bring my mom and siblings back, I cried, tried to made myself comfortable and took a nap.

When I woke up, people were looking at me! They looked so funny from where I was sitting. Their big noses coming thisclose to me, pointing their fingers. "WHAT IS THIS?" I whined, loudly. All of a sudden some one opened the door behind me and said, "come here little guy, there is someone who wants to meet you!"


At first I thought, "Wow- you have big hands mister!" and then I realized he was warm, so I snuggled into his arm. And then, I saw HER. For, what seemed like forever to me, I found my person. She was pretty, smelled good and had soft hands.

We sat down in the room, big-hand-man and smell-good-soft-hand-lady. I realized right away that S.G.S.H.L. and I were going to be besties for LIFE! It was the B.H.M. that I clearly needed to win over. I remember hearing something like:

S.G.S.H.L.: "He's so cute, we should take him home today!"
B.H.M.: "But what about Christmas, your going home? What about our honeymoon? You can't have him live in your apartment...yaddy yaddy"
S.G.S.H.L.: "We can figure that all out later, I love him now!"

And this is when I realized, it was do or die.

I climbed up big-hand-man's legs, into his jacket and fell asleep in his armpit.

S.G.S.H.L.: "If we get him, we could call him Jack- for 'jacket' because he just fell asleep in your jacket!"
B.H.M.: "He's so soft and snuggly! But I cannot have a dog named 'jacket'"
S.G.S.H.L.: "Fine, then we call him Jack for short"

It felt like forever that night playing with these two amazing people. I knew I had to be theirs. They would take me to their cardboard box and share it with me. I just knew it!! But then, the unexpected happened.

B.H.M.: "We have to go meet mom and dad for dinner- we've already been in here with him for 2+ hours"
S.G.S.H.L.: "I cannot give him back"
B.H.M.: "I don't want to give him back either, but we have to"
S.G.S.H.L.: "I can't watch"

She kissed me on my head and I started to howl. "COME BACK!" I said, but she walked away. B.H.M. told the lady, "I'm sorry but we can't take him". I saw him tearing up too! I howled at him. "DON'T LEAVE ME! I'LL BE YOUR BESTIE!!"


But they left. Without me. Alone. I howled all night for them to come back. The lights got turned off, and we were all supposed to go to sleep. But how could I sleep when my new mom was here today and now- she's gone? I cried myself to sleep.

Next morning, the lights turned back on and my door opened. "ARE THEY HERE FOR ME?" I asked. I guy didn't say anything to me, just that I poop a lot. He cleaned my area and put me back in. I howled all day waiting for my pack to come back to me.

Mommy would always tell us bed time stories to put my siblings and I to bed, and one night she told the story of how, when she lost daddy outside, she howled for him. That was their way of communicating that they need their pack- you howl for your pack, your family, to come back.

It seemed like forever and after howling all day, I finally had to take a nap. I was too tired and emotionally exhausted from finding my pack, and then leaving me behind. Until, the door opened behind me. "You're going home buddy! Time for a bath!"


"Did he just say home? Does home mean a cardboard box? Am I going to have the two best people in the world come back and take me to their cardboard box??" I peed in the tub I was so excited. But then something weird happened. The guy put me back in my box. Alone.

I howled. I cried. The pomeranian above me kept jumping up and down insisting I be quiet- something about "beauty sleep". And then, it happened.

Big-hand-man and smell-good-soft-hand-lady stood in front of my window! Pointing at me and showing me to some really tall man and a really short lady.

S.G.S.H.L.: "May I see the puggle please?"

I knew she was talking about me, but he handed S.G.S.H.L. this little brat-girl puggle who came in last night- she too yelled at me all night, "I need more rest" and "could you puh-lease shut my hole". How was this possible? Right infront of my eyes my person was holding this mean yappy GIRL! I started howling.

S.G.S.H.L.: "I'm sorry, this is a girl, we saw the little boy, right there (pointing to me) last night, I'd like to see him again."

The guy said, "I'm sorry ma'am but he's already sold." and he walked the yappy-girl to the back room.

S.G.S.H.L. started crying. Really loudly. "But he's right there! He's looking at me! I just called an hour ago and you said you hadn't sold any puggles tonight!!!" She was so upset. That was of course until B.H.M. said, "I'm the one who bought him".

S.G.S.H.L.: "You WHAT?"

And then she elbowed him. Hard. In the stomach.

Once he stopped coughing and the guy realized that B.H.M. wasn't lying, he pulled me out of the door, for the LAST TIME, and handed me to S.G.S.H.L. It was love at first snuggle.


I was only 8 weeks old when dad bought me for mom as an early wedding present, but I have been the coolest dog on the block since. I only wear black leather spiked colars- and have since I was 3 pounds. Mom keeps my baby colar in her car. Something about it helping to remind her when I was a baby.

As a Christmas present two years ago dad took me to obidience classes, where I received all stars on my report card. Not only did everyone in the class say how "cute" I was but they also commented on my colar :)

And so, that is the story of how I became a member of the coolest family ever- my version of course. Somethings may have been edited out that didn't affect the outcome of the story and sometimes were added for additional comedic relief. Either way...I know where I'm sleeping tonight, snuggled up with S.G.S.H.L.! Yippy!



No comments:

Post a Comment