Thursday, June 2, 2011

My favorite recipe

Mom likes to spoil me and one of her favorite (and mine) things to do (and eat) are homemade dog cookies.

We are going to be making these cookies this summer at the SPCA summer camp, but I thought I'd give you a preview because there is just too much delicious-ness going around over here! Yum!

Low-Fat Beef Cookies (Because even though I'm cute, I too have to watch my waist line!)
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup skim milk
3/4 cup water
3 1/2 oz can of beef puree (1 small jar of baby food)

1. Blend wheat flour and cornmeal together. Set aside.
2. Whisk together milk, water and beef puree. (This is when it starts smelling REAL good!)
3. Slowly add flour mixture to beef mixture until a stiff dough is formed. (This is when I start whining because it smells so good!)
4. Place dough on floured counter and roll out, about 1" thick.
5. Cut into shapes with desired cookie cutter and place on ungreased cookie sheet. (I prefer the bone cookie cutter over the mail man shaped one...just seems wrong to eat something shaped like a person!)
6. Back at 375 for 35 minutes or until cookies are crisp. Let set overnight to crisp cookies.

See, its really kinda easy to make healthy treats for your dog! So there you go. A Jack-approved cookie recipe that I'm sure your bff with four legs will love as well!

1 comment:

  1. OMD! Those sound A-mazing! Wonder if we can talk Mom into making some for us!

    The Road Dogs

    ReplyDelete